Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The incredibly lovely yarn that I stopped knitting into a scarf and became a brioche watchcap!!?

Betsy kindly gave me some fabulous handspun yarn a little while ago in exchange for a ride to the airport or something like that. I figured I would make it into a scarf. After several different attempts, over the span of several months, though, I realized that what this yarn really wanted to be was a hat. And in a day or so, there it was:



(that's our fridge in the background, so now you know what we have stuck on it!)

I used Elizabeth Zimmermann's brioche stitch watchcap pattern from Knitting Without Tears, and modified it slightly since my yarn was less chunky than what the pattern called for. I can't remember how many stitches I actually ended up casting on, maybe it was 48? I'm too tired right now to figure it out. I know I used size 10.5 needles. Other than that, I pretty much followed the pattern. I ended up with 12 stitches to thread the yarn through at the top.

1 comment:

Aesox said...

That's a very cute hat and the yarn is beautiful!