I finished my Tweedy Aran Cardigan last weekend, after a slight hiccup. . .maybe more than slight since I ended up re-knitting both sleeves. . .Here's what happened:
I was knitting away on the collar when I realized that I was going to run out of yarn. I considered making the collar smaller, but I decided against this because the size, although large enough to feel at home in the 1970's, seemed a good proportion for this sweater.
My next thought was the sleeves. I could probably take a half an inch off their length and not miss it. As I further inspected my sleeves, I noticed that they didn't really match the shape of the pattern's schematic drawing. My sleeves got wider much sooner than the drawing indicated.
I figured out that my gauge had changed, and I was knitting more rows to the inch than the pattern called for. So I decided to try re-knitting the sleeves, this time making increases every 8 rows instead of every 6 rows, and then also going with the half-inch shorter plan once I was done with the increases. Two days later I had sleeves that looked much better and more than enough yarn to finish the collar and use to sew all the seams. Hurray!
This sweater is like a warm hug.
Pattern: Tweedy Aran Cardigan by Norah Gaughan for Interweave Knits
Yarn: Beaverslide Fisherman Weight, color is called Swift Current (thanks to Pam and Amber!!)
Needles: size 7 and 5 addi turbos
Buttons: 1" mongoy wood from M&J Trimming