Thursday, February 5, 2009

Ha ha ha, this is freaking ugly!

I thought I'd share with you perhaps the ugliest thing I have ever knit.

This is what happens when you knit Bartholomew's Tantalizing Sock from New Pathways for Sock Knitters with Socks that Rock Lightweight in colorway Carbon. (As usual, I don't blame either the pattern or the yarn, the fault lies in me for putting the two together.)



the front



the back


The whole time I was knitting this, I felt like I was playing a game of chicken with myself. How long could I keep knitting this, as I watched the yarn and pattern collide in such a sickening way? I must admit that I was strangely fascinated by the process.

So, let's see, what have I learned from this latest mistake?

1. Magic Loop rocks! This was the first time I tried it, and I loved it. It's really fast, easy, and the cheapskate in me loves that I only needed one needle that was $5 from knitpicks.com.

2. I like the way the yarn was looking when I was knitting 63 stitches per round in stockinette. I'm thinking maybe the yarn would work well with rpm. . .

3. Even though the pattern is written for STR Mediumweight, STR Lightweight will work, using the 68 st cast-on size and size 1 (2.25mm) needles.

4. Maybe I should avoid multi-colored yarns? I don't seem to have much skill with them.

No comments: