Monday, September 7, 2009

Elf Toe Surprise

When I looked at the picture of the Gentleman's Fancy Sock in Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush, I had no idea that I would be soon knitting socks with pointy elf toes. I thought about changing them to a good old flat toe, but I decided I would keep them as is. So here they are, all finished:



Pattern: Gentleman's Fancy Sock from Knitting Vintage Socks (made for a lady, that is, me)
Yarn: Schaefer Anne, color Butternut
Needles: size 0 metal dpns

Although I kept the toes as written (I kind of love the way the Kitchener stitch is worked sideways at the end, instead of straight across the top like on a flat toe), I did stray from the pattern in a few places. First of all, I didn't do any calf shaping. I cast on 72 stitches, with my yarn doubled, and worked the ribbed cuff and 6 repeats straight. I increased to 73 sts for the heel and worked that as written. I did 6 more pattern repeats for the foot. A half of a repeat looked weird, so I did 10 rounds of stockinette instead of 6 rounds before starting to decrease for the elf toe shaping.



As you might have guessed, I added some orange reinforcement thread to the toes. There is yellow reinforcement thread in the heels, but I ran out of it and couldn't find any more. So I used some orange that I had. Schaefer Anne feels kind of thin on its own.

No comments: