Saturday, May 19, 2007

Very sad

I found out Thursday that Butter's ultrasound test revealed that he had cancer in his lungs. There was nothing more that could be done for him, and he was fading away fast as well. Even though the vet had drained an ounce of fluid from his lungs, his breathing was becoming more and more labored. We took him to the vet on Friday morning and had him put to sleep.

He was such a great cat. I'm happy that we were brought together by chance back in 1993. When we lived in Baltimore, he stalked and killed many cockroaches for me, and helped me corral and dispatch a huge palmetto bug one night (for those of you who don't know, a palmetto bug is a mouse-sized roach. And it can fly.) He put up with crazy housemates and all the times I made us move to different apartments. He was a stoic traveling companion as we waited at Dulles Airport after our flight to San Francisco had been canceled.

He always could tell when I wasn't feeling well and would come and sit with me and purr. I hope I was able to return the favor and to make his last few days as comfortable as possible.

I will always miss him.