I'm almost done with the first of my Monster in the Basement socks:
It had been a long time since I did a short-row heel, so it took me a couple tries, but it turned out all right in the end. I did a little bit of stripe engineering so that the heel was all red and brown and the green stripe continued on. I have discovered that it really bugs me when the ankle part has narrower or wider stripes, or pools differently, than the rest of the sock. It seems that with short-row heels I can avoid this more easily than with heel flaps and gussets.
I'm going to try out Elizabeth Zimmerman's sewn bind-off technique to finish the top, so that it's nice and stretchy and not too tight.