Saturday, July 4, 2009

Well-traveled yarn

I just realized that the yarn I used to make these socks has been across the USA five times. I bought it at the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival in May of last year and brought it back to San Francisco. Then it came with me to Brooklyn this April when I was visiting Betsy. And finally it was my knitting project on my trip last week to Maryland and Pennsylvania to see friends and family. Travel broadens the mind and makes a great pair of socks:








Pattern: Marlene by Cookie A., from knit.1 magazine
Yarn: Brooklyn Handspun Soft Spun Plus, colorway Smooth Sailing
Needles: size 2 bamboo dpns

Another great Cookie A pattern. Lots of fun and easy to knit, even when you're stuck on a plane for 5 1/2 hours and the person in front of you has just spilled their water all over your carry-on bag.

Modifications? Why, yes. I only did 6 repeats for the ankle. 26 rows for the heel flap were all I needed. And I kept the ribbing on the toes, which is what the photo in knit.1 shows, but the written instructions are for a stockinette toe. Oh, and I cast on with 2 needles held together so that the top would be nice and stretchy.

No comments: