Saturday, November 7, 2009

Some Saturday sewing

I've been spending the past few Saturdays working on a sewing project. It's a shirt, or blouse, if you will. I'm using Simplicity pattern 4077, which is the most complicated thing I've ever sewn that I think I will actually wear. This one is a test so I'm using some fabric that I found at JoAnn Fabrics for cheap. It's not quite done yet, but I have only one more thing to do, which is to make the buttonholes and sew on the buttons. I'm kind of scared about making the buttonholes. . .

These are the buttons I'm going to use. They are waxed cherry wood, made from tree branches by The Hickory Tree. I wanted something rustic.

I'll show more details when I'm completely done. Even if the buttonholes don't work out (though I'm hoping they will), I feel like a had a sewing breakthrough. This is the first time I made a full bust adjustment to a pattern, so that the shirt will fit properly in the bust but not be too large in other places. Here's my modified front pattern piece, on art-school tracing paper (good thing I saved that stuff after all these years. . .)

A few weeks ago I hardly knew what a full bust adjustment was! Thanks again, you people of the internets!

No comments: